South Sudan ConflictThe Situation:
Heavy armed-fighting broke out in the capital city of South Sudan in December 2013. Persisted violence has killed thousands and caused more than 800,000 people to flee their homes. While neighboring countries have opened their borders to receive refugees from South Sudan, resources are running thin.
Lutheran Disaster Response is committed to walking with our brothers and sisters affected by the crisis in South Sudan by responding within the country as well as across borders into Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya and Chad.
We are a church that rolls up our sleeves and gets to work. Operating through our local partners, we will respond in:
- South Sudan by providing non-food item assistance to the more than 20,000 displaced persons and the more than 90,000 refugees across five camps
- Ethiopia by assisting Sudanese refugees with drinking water and improving sanitation and hygiene services
- Uganda by increasing water availability, sanitation and hygiene programs, management and distribution of non-food items in refugee camps
- Kenya by providing immediate needs, such as protection, for newly arrived Sudanese refugees to Kakuma refugee camp
- Chad by working with the World Food Programme to distribute food to the more than 175,000 Sudanese refuges across seven camps
Thanks to your undesignated gifts, Lutheran Disaster Response is responding now and supporting people who have been impacted by the South Sudan crisis. Working with The Lutheran World Federation and the Episcopal Church of Sudan, gifts have been used to provide protection and life-saving essentials.
What Can You Do?
Pray for those affected by violence, that they may be granted peace and healing.
Your gifts designated for the South Sudan Conflict Response will be used in full (100 percent)
to assist those directly impacted. Gifts from people like you allow us to continue our response.
To learn more about the situation and the ELCA’s response:
- Use this bulletin insert to inform your congregation and encourage support for the Pacific Typhoon.
- Sign up to receive Lutheran Disaster Response alerts.
- Check the Lutheran Disaster Response blog.