Guidance for CongregationsCongregational ministry
As members of the ELCA, we believe we are freed in Christ to serve and love our neighbor. Your congregation may have a rich tradition of supporting ministries of the ELCA. Perhaps children in Sunday school have become accustomed to collecting change to help support missionaries, while also learning about other cultures far away. Maybe your Confirmation youth hold annual car washes to purchase chicks or goats to sustain farmers overseas through ELCA Good Gifts. Or your congregation may contribute to seminary scholarships, through ELCA Fund for Leaders, providing new pastors the freedom to answer their first call with little or no debt.
Mission Endowment Funds
Your congregation wants to build upon its legacy of generosity for the future — and one way to achieve that includes establishing a mission endowment fund. By creating an ongoing financial resource above and beyond regular offerings, your congregation can:
- expand outreach in the community and around the world
- alleviate world hunger and poverty
- respond to disasters
- sponsor missionaries
- fund seminary scholarships
- support new congregations.
Guidance for congregations
The ELCA Foundation can also lead planned-giving presentations and meet with congregational leaders to provide support for stewardship education. Our gift planners have the expertise to assist your congregation or group with planned giving by providing:
- mission endowment fund guidance so your congregation or group can be thoughtful stewards of bequests and planned gifts
- gift planning education through seminars on wills, estate plans and charitable gift planning
- investment options for endowments through the ELCA Endowment Fund Pooled Trust and the Mission Investment Fund of the ELCA.